Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation

Top

Front Page > breadcrumbs: Administrative Service Center > breadcrumbs: Superintendent's Corner >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

 

MHS Fish Story


Skip image

Story image 1_0
45bf5b415b582

Connecting the present with the past

The Fish Story

 The old fish fountain has greeted students and visitors to Mattoon Schools since 1929.  Originally, the fountain stood at the entrance of the old Mattoon High School that was located at the corner of 21st Street and Western Avenue.  

When the new high school opened in 1956, the fish fountain was left behind.  The old high school became Central Junior High School until 1978.  Central School was later used for district offices and special education classes until closing in 2003.


Skip image

Story image 2_0
45bf5b415b582Fountain location at Central School
Fountain location at Central School

During the 2005 renovation of the current high school, the Board of Education moved the fish fountain from the old Central School to its present location.

Appreciative that a memory from the community's past was given a place of honor in the entrance of Mattoon High School, the MHS Class of 1955 at their 50th class reunion expressed the following sentiment regarding the fish fountain:


Skip image

Story image 3_0
45bf5b415b582

 

"It is a symbol of continuity and a reminder that the schools have ties:one represents our roots, the other our future."

 

 

  • Facebook Icon

Mattoon Community Unit School District 21701 Charleston AvenueMattoon, IL  61938

Sign up for the News Update.

Back To Top